Monday, September 2, 2013

South Africa Blog 1. Jo'burg and Soweto 31st Aug and 1st Sept


Days One and Two – Johannesburg, Soweto and Boksburg

Saturday - I arrived at roughly 7am in Jo’burg to 0 degrees Celsius. Tired, with jet lag and with sexy cankles. Got my first stamp in my new passport and picked up and taken to my hotel. Along the way my hotel manager convinced me to do the Apertheid and Soweto tour instead of the Jo’burg tour. In all honesty I think she was trying to save herself money as she had another girl booked that day for that tour. I went with it and glad I did.
I got an hour to shower and relax before heading off. Best way to overcome jet lag is to stay awake all day if you can so this was a good way to do that.
First stop Apertheid Museum. Very eye opening… They had a temporary exhibit on Mandela there. Here are a few pics.







Next stop Soweto. Short for South West Township. This is where Nelson Mandela resided before he went to prison for 27 years and then for 11 days after he left prison. His house has been turned into a museum. This was my favourite museum of the day. Soweto was definitely the kind of place that I have never been to before. Poverty was very evident and people would do anything for a bit of money. There was a contortionist, a rapper, carwashers (that would wash your car while you were in the museum and then charge you when you got out even though you didn’t ask for the car to be washed), and many street venders aiming to make money off the tourists visiting the museum. I bought a couple of small things.

Hopping back into the car we headed to Hector Pieterson Museum. Hector Pieterson was among the first children to be shot and killed at a rally on June 1, 1976. This was an awakening for the people.

At the end of the day we passed Soccer City where the FIFA World Cup was held only a couple of years ago. Its HUGE.

You can bunji jump off the walkway up in the middle there on this power station... crazy... 

These are 'kit' homes. For sale. 

Original piece of furniture in Mandela's house





These boys asked me to take a picture of them... so I did... :) 


Soweto markets

Soccer City

Jo'Burg


Sunday -  After a long sleep, I woke and had brekky and pondered what to do on my free day. Eventually I decided to go for a walk. I walked to the closest mall which was about a 15 min walk. Not a lot was open and I really wanted to buy a zoom lens and a lens shade for my new camera. So I asked how to get to a bigger mall and was instructed to stand on the side of the road and put my hand out spreading my fingers like I was showing the number 5 and that would hail me a taxi that would only cost 6 Rand (about 70cents) to get to East Rand Mall. Sceptical about this I decided to walk and see just how far the mall was as I was told it was on that same road… I got sick of walking after 10 mins. LOL. I asked again at a local petrol station if they could call me a taxi. Instead the petrol attendant asked one of his customers who kindly offered me a lift. (Mum if you are reading this, don’t worry, I did a risk assessment first and decided the risk was low.) The man Patrick and his wife Precious gave me a lift to the mall which was a good 5kms so I’m glad I didn’t walk. I spent the day walking around the mall and making sure I had all the necessary things I needed for the two weeks ahead. I got my lens and saved a good $200. J I went to a flea market and got a few souvenirs and there was entertainment there (which was really bad singers) and I found the culture much like Australia really but still very interesting. I decided to spend the afternoon walking home and I’m so glad I did. On the way I stumbled across a Pet Market. But this was no ordinary pet store. It had a Bird Park attached to it which was free to enter… so enter I did.






It took me a good hour and a half to casually walk home and along the way I discovered that you can buy just about anything at a set of lights or on the side of the road. From sunglasses to furniture to even puppies (which made me quite sad).

It was a great day and being in Africa is gradually becoming real… 

No comments:

Post a Comment