Wednesday, September 11, 2013

Days 10, 11 and 12 - In South Africa!!


Days 10 and 11 – Firstly just a note that this will be more text than photos as I have limited availability on the internet. Sorry!

A new adventure awaited me on day 10. I didn’t know what to expect and I didn’t know how different it would be.
Ian, who laughs at all my jokes (though not sure if he is laughing with me or at me… LOL) and my South African husband Wayne dropped me off at the airport after some melancholy goodbyes at Welgedacht. It quite honestly was the best week I’ve had in a long time. Got photos with the boys and said goodbye to my Italian, Berlin living husband, Daniele, (the other volunteer) and Christian, the German Croc man as well. LOL. Was a fun week and I’ve made some wonderful friends both human and animal.

Arriving in Port Elizabeth I immediately had to put a jumper on. It was COLD. And windy but being a Port city I could understand that. Hopes that it would be warmer on camp quickly faded when we arrived. I am now with 2 new volunteers, Koharu from Tokyo and Eline from Holland. The dynamics are completely different with two girls rather than me and two boys. Growing up with 5 brothers has made me more comfortable around boys most of the time so this is good but different.

Gert met us at the airport and we went on the 2.5hour drive out to Modgaji. Modgaji sits on 5000 hectares of land of which free roam vervet monkeys (one of which I am sure is on the roof of my room as I write this), impala, kudu, duiker, giraffe, aardvark, bush pig, baboons (which we saw on the way in), other smaller antelope and many many springbok.

We settled in and had spag bol for dinner before getting an early night ready for a full days work in the morning. Things are certainly different here. We are very very separate from the main house, it’s all three of us girls are sharing a house and by house I mean a building with a room and three beds. The kitchen and bathroom are about 100 metres from the room and it’s pitch black outside with monkeys and African wild cats roaming around! The kitchen is open and very cold and we are cooking our own meals. Very different than Welgedacht. It’s taking me some time to get used to.

Tuesday 10 Sep, Day 11. An early rise and I wasn’t feeling well either. But nothing that a tablet couldn’t fix. Then on the hunt with cheetahs!! We walked two cheetahs Jhabulani and Themba who are brothers to go and hunt with them. We walked along side of them and let them do their thing. Within 10 minutes they had taken down a rather large kudu. We walked up to where they were and were able to even go right near them when they were eating. They are used to humans doing this so they tolerate it.
Gert pulled the guts out and then William and Gert cut the kudu into pieces so we could all drag it back to camp which was about a kilometre away. The two brothers walked back with us, satisfied with their kill. Buhle the female cheetah got a piece of the kudu. They suspect she is carrying cubs and could deliver any day over the next week to two weeks. I hope it’s this week! These cubs are then raised with the mother and then sold to other game reserves to have as wild cheetahs. (Or at least I hope that is what actually happens).
We gave fresh water to the other cats – caracals, servals and the final cheetah Luka. She is only 13months old and is a beauty. We sat with her for a bit and she came to me and licked my hands and play bit me and then flopped down in front of me and purred so beautifully.
The afternoon was spent cutting up the rest of the carcass of the kudu and avoiding the thousands of ticks that were on it. I escaped with no ticks touching my skin thankfully. We then went for a bit of a drive before coming back to feed the meat to the servals and caracals.
A very different day than with the lions.

Wednesday 11th Sept.
This morning we took Lukah out for a walk. We walked about 5 kms before turning back to come back to the camp. Unfortunately she was unsuccessful in catching two duikers (small antelope). So hopefully we have better luck tomorrow morning with her.
We spent the rest of the day cleaning and we went to Jhabulani and Themba’s camp and Buhle’s camp to find their left over bones and then feed them to the hyenas.
In the afternoon we spent some time with Lukah again. She is so adorable and even affectionately rubbed her head up against mine. I’m in love! J
We fed the caracals and servals again. It’s so funny how their behaviour changes when food is available to them.

I’ll try to post again in a few days but don’t want to waste too much of my money on the internet here. Hope all is well back home!








No comments:

Post a Comment