Tuesday, October 14, 2014

Uganda - Watoto, mountain gorillas, babies, filming and bodas

UGANDA – Days 1-7

I honestly had no idea what to expect in Uganda. Particularly in the main city. I haven’t watched any doco’s on Kampala or seen pictures that I can remember were actually Kampala and so when I arrived I was amazed. What an incredible city. Very busy, lively, colourful and vibrant. The streets are filled with people working or riding bodas (motorcycles used as taxi type services) or sweeping the streets or selling fruit and vegetables or the occasional gate or bed…. It’s a vibrant city and I love it.
Although here we stand out like a sore thumb… Mzungu’s we are called. White people. They speak the language called Luganda although English is widely spoken as well. In Uganda, I’m white. LOL. In Australia I’m not. It reminds me of my trips to Samoa where we are called palagi’s. (Pronounced palangi). Which also means white person. I kind of like it. In no way is it used as a racist term but more of a term of affection.
We, my friend Hannah and I, arrived here on Monday 6th late at night and headed to dinner with David and Savannah, my brother and sister in law who are living in Kampala at the moment. The restaurants in Kampala are much like our restaurants in Australia. Although a lot cheaper. 11500 UGX will get you a massive burrito filled with avocado, rice, verduras etc. That’s about $4. I’m pretty sure Mad Mex sell burritos for $10! And the food is delicious. Avocado’s are about 3 times the size of ours! You can get a Coke here for 800 shillings… that’s about 40c!

WATOTO
On Tuesday, after a delicious brekky, we headed into Kampala to go to Central Watoto church. This is where Dave and Sav have been working. Watoto means child in Luganda. The ministry looks after abandoned, orphaned, and less fortunate children. It is quite a large organisation with a couple of large villages where the children are raised and looked after by foster mums. What they are doing is very heart warming and selfless. These children have nothing when they come to Watoto but the love shared for each individual is endless. Some of the children participate in the choir as part of their program. Dave is currently filming their new promo video for the children’s choir before the new tour next year in January and Savannah has been assisting in choreography of the choir. Dave took us on a tour of the church and we met his friends and colleagues and then had the opportunity to watch the kids in action. Aunty Alison and Aunty Hannah thoroughly enjoyed the warm welcome and the incredible singing and dancing that the kids showcased for them. I even got the chance to learn the dance and join in. However I can’t show you that because it’s top secret information. ;)   Followed by some warm loving hugs. I could hug those kids all day.





In the afternoon we popped into Living Hope which is where the ladies make bags, jewellery, toys and other items for sale. The money raised goes back into the community to less fortunate women. I am getting a bag hand made and can not wait to showcase it in Sydney. J
We then headed to Baby Watoto. This is where the babies are looked after before heading to the villages at an older age. We played with gorgeous babies and had plenty of cuddles. For privacy reasons I can not show you those photos but here’s one I can and it happens to be my favourite one anyway.

MOUNTAIN GORILLAS
Wednesday morning we arose bright and early and hopped in the van with Bonny our driver. He was driving us out to Bwindi Impenetrable Forest to see the mountain gorillas. While it was a long drive it was totally worth it. Along the way we drove through Queen Elizabeth National Park and saw elephants, baboons, plenty of birds, Uganda kob, and vultures. Unfortunately we were unable to locate the famous climbing lions which was disappointing but the sanctuary will satisfy my need for lions. Haha.
Before dinner we went down to see the local kids do some singing and dancing for us. They were so energetic and even did a little kind of weird gorilla dance and song for us. Settling into our lodge we had a delicious meal and met the team looking after us. We were the only ones at the lodge.
Thursday. Finally! Mountain gorillas! It is seriously unexplainable so I’ll try with photos. We were lucky and didn’t have to trek too far to see them. I made sure that I was living in the moment… spending more time observing and watching the gorillas with my eyes rather than through the lens the whole time and I don’t regret that at all. Having said that, here are a few of my favourite photos.











In the afternoon we went for a walk with Sam one of the men looking after us at the lodge and we walked down to the local hospital.

We spent some time chatting down by the fire before going to bed.

Our trip back on Friday was long but we still got to see a lot of Uganda. Including some crested cranes but as we were going so fast I was unable to take a photo.

This experience is one that will remain with me for the rest of my life. With the only thing between us and the gorillas being nature, it was magical. Like something out of a fairytale. The soul and softness in the gorilla’s eyes is humbling. And I don’t think I’ll ever experience something like that again. They came so close to us when walking past us, almost brushing our legs. Amazing.

On the way back we stopped at the equator so that we could be in two places at once. J




WATOTO – SUUBI VILLAGE

Saturday and Sunday were spent with Dave and Sav doing some filming for the promo. We headed up to Suubi village which is on top of a mountain and has the most breathtaking view. The village is equipped with a school, a church, houses, a medical centre and playgrounds. It houses close to 1200 children and their foster mums. Word spread around the village pretty quickly that we were using a go pro helicopter (which I brought for Dave from Australia) and the looks on the kids faces when they saw that helicopter fly was worth every kilometre of transport.
We enjoyed a traditional lunch at Winnie’s house. Winnie is one of the singers in the choir. Her foster mum welcomed us with open arms and we had a traditional Ugandan meal. I really enjoyed it.
We filmed in the school, in the playgrounds and in the cluster of houses.  I can not wait to see the final product that Dave and his team produce.
On Sunday we went to church in the morning and I loved the service. A beautiful message on Jesus’s miracles and that they are not a thing of the past. They are very present today. Afterwards this beautiful girl showed me her home and we met some more wonderful Mama’s. I have so much love and respect for these women who dedicate themselves to God’s work.

We had a late lunch and drove back to the apartment where Hannah and I hopped on a boda just for the experience before leaving Uganda. Dave hopped on another one and filmed us on the sony cam. It was actually a lot of fun! Although we witnessed an accident occur right in front of us with two cars! Crazy. Mum if you’re reading this… don’t worry, we were very safe and the driver was very good. J We stopped in at the markets and bought some fresh fruit for dessert.











A lovely dinner at home with fellowship with Dave and Sav before we fly off to South Africa for the next adventure. Stay tuned for stories from the Lion Sanctuary.

No comments:

Post a Comment